Building a Healthy Spirit, Mind, and Body for all
This is the mission of the Y and goes hand in hand with what the Hype4lifefam is all about. The people at the Y have influenced my kids with leadership, relationships, strength and heart. That is exactly what the Hype4lifefam has given me. I need the Hype4lifefam support to give more families in our community the same opportunity to grow with these principles by giving to the We Build People (WBP) Campaign for the Cary Family YMCA. I have asked Joel to give me a challenge to complete if we can raise $500 in under a week. Our campaign ends Thursday, November 6th.
Here is my Y story:
The people at the Y are my family. My kids have grown up in the Y with early care, after school care and summer camp programs their entire K-10 life. They have been a part of the Leader’s Club program throughout middle school and high school. This program requires 100 hours of community service each year. Each have had amazing opportunities through this program. Ashley has been on 3 US mission trips to Washington DC area to work with and help the homeless and 2 international mission trips to Jamaica and Peru. Zachary has taken his first mission trip to Atlanta last spring break and will be heading to Washington DC this coming spring break. Both are now giving back and making new relationships with the next generation of Y kids. Ashley has been a summer camp counselor for the past three years and worked after school programs during her junior and senior year of high school. Zachary has volunteered at the Y for Teacher work days and other school holidays for their SOS program. He also volunteered at the after school program with his sister. He has been a part of their Counselor in Leadership Training program the past two summers. I hope he will get the chance this summer to be a summer camp counselor. It makes me a proud mom to see my kids making a difference in the lives of these kids.
We Build People Goal:
We run a 5 week campaign every year to raise funds for children, teens, families and adults who otherwise cannot afford YMCA programs or services. Our Goal this year is $547,000. Here are examples of some programs that WBP supports
• Y Learning – Help for below grade students that meet at their schools
• Camp High Hope – subsidized summer camp with academic enrichment so kids do not fall behind during the summer.
• Teens – Leader Club, Youth and Government and Mission Trips
• LIVESTRONG – fully subsidized group exercise program for cancer survivors
• Outreach – sports leagues, camps, and leadership development retreats
• Y Splash – children taught this important life skill by trained instructors
• Financial Assistance – scholarships for after school, early arrivals, track out, and summer camps
How to Donate:
You can donate online HERE (please select the Cary Family YMCA and me, Kristin Barker as the campaigner).
• One-time payment – cash, check or credit card (Checks made out to YMCA of the Triangle Area)
• 12 month credit card draft – (min $100)